translation by Nausica Bonaldo and Michael Dubiaga
Entering we see on the right a 16th-century wooden statue of the Madonna, which was restored in 2002. It had been placed in the little church called the Roata. In the past, the statue was clothed in garments of different colours according to the liturgical season. Below you can see the foundations of this part of the church, dating from 1924.
Three crosses are displayed in the case on the right.Used for the processions, they are made of silver. Two are from the 1700s, while the one on the left is from the 1600s. These are very rare inVeneto. Below them you can see a missal (1904) used for the celebration of Mass by St. Pius X and given by him to the parish of Salzano.
In the second display case we see a golden pyx from1754. In the middle there is a little glass cruet from 1735, which perhaps comes from Murano, a baptismal spoon of the first half of the 1700s, and three cruets (also of the 1700s) which were used for the holy oils.St. Teresa d'Avila's relic from the 19th century is also to be seen.
Below we see two chandeliers made of carved and varnished lime wood, and a female figure of the 18th century.
In the third case are four 18th century cartegloria, written in Latin and used to celebrate the Mass. Then we see a wooden container with cruets for the holy oils (18th century), and a silver tray. Below there is a little box for alms for the souls and for the Sacred Host, made of carved wood.
A chalice, a little pyx and two cruets, all of the 19th century, are in the fourth display case. In the middle there is a monstrance and chalice from the 19th century and a chalice from the 18th century. At the far end is a Roman rite missal (1901), a gift from Pius X.
In the fifth case we see a pyx and a reliquary of the 1800s. In the middle there are a pyx (1800s), a chalice, and a patten from 1867, when Father Giuseppe Sarto came to Salzano as a parish priest. Beneath one sees a monstrance from1867. Father Antonio Bosa gave the chalice, the patten and the monstrance to the parish.
On the eastern wall, in the display case on the right, is a censer from the end of the 1800s and in the middle a pyx, a candle holder and a thurible or censer, all from the end of the 19th century. Below we notice two reliquaries from the 1800s. The first one (on the left) represents the facade of the cathedral of Milan with the Virgin Mary and it contains a relic of St. Carlo Borromeo, the archbishop of Milan.
In the display case on the left a devotional picture and some votive offerings are exhibited.
Under the loft, we see in the display case on the left two little chalices, a set of cruets with tray and a chalice, all of the 20th century. In the middle you may notice a chalice with a patten, an incense-boat with a spoon and a chalice, all from the early 1900s. Below is a ceremonial stick (1925).
The next display case shows a small alms box and a pyx, also from the 20th century. In the middle is a pyx (1905) and below it Domenico Gasperini's reliquary of 1957.
On the right of the central case a pocket watch is displayed with Pius X's crest on the back. This was donated by him. In the middle we note two chalices with a 20th century patten; below there are some lilies on an ex voto from the late 1800s.
In the display case on the right we observe a beautiful chalice with a patten. The patten reproduces an engraving representing the Last Supper. These valuables were made by the famous Parisian jeweler, Garnier, and were given to Pius X by the French bishops in 1906. This marked the time of the separation of Church and State in France. Below is a missal of the dead (1852), used by Father Giuseppe Sarto.
On the north wall we see two paintings. One of them, representing St. Francis, is an oil-painting, the work of an anonymous painter of the VenetianSchool of Veneto, It was given to the museum by the Franciscan nuns of Salzano. The other painting represents a Madonna with the Sacred Heart, also the work of an anonymous painter of the VenetianSchool.
Half-way up the staircase is an old funereal tombstone, the oldest existing one in Salzano. It commemorates the parish priest, Father Giovanni Costantini, who died in 1738.
The loft hosts a temporary exhibition of original documents written by Father Giuseppe Sarto when he was a parish priest in Salzano, from 1867 to 1875. These are usually preserved in the parish archives of Robegano and Salzano.
The first display case on the left contains three documents written by Fr. Sarto when he was pastor. These pertain to the offerings for the 40 hours of adoration of Holy Week (1873), information given to Bishop Zinelli on the occasion of his pastoral visit (8 December 1867), and a letter from1873 to Luigi Favaron for the gravel contract.
The next case holds the parish census register and the register of the parish property administered by Fr. Sarto. In the next display case are the register of marriages, written in Latin, and the Death register,written in Italian, with a few very moving obituaries written by Father Giuseppe Sarto.
The next display case holds the baptismal register.
The central case contains the famous Catechism of Salzano, written when he was pastor.
The four display cases on the right hold:
On this floor we find a prie-dieu given to the Patriarch in1893.Through the efforts of Professor Eugenio Bacchion it was returned to Salzano by Cardinal Adeodato Piazza, Patriarch of Venice, in 1940.
Then we find a sculpture representing St. Bartholomew with a land register of 1343, which previously was placed over the door to the bell tower.
Then there is a chair from the 1700s. The banner for the processions of 1884 represents Christ crucified on one side and the adoration of the Blessed Sacrament by two angels on the other.
The first display case on the left holds a chasuble and a stole of the end of the 1600s, a gift from Pius X.
The second display case holds a gold stole (1900s) and a chalice veil embroidered in France which presents Pius X's crest and his motto "
To restore all things in Christ".
The third case holds a chasuble from the end of the 1800s.
The last case contains a 20th-century chasuble and stole.
In the display cases on the western wall we find:
On the north wall the display cases hold:
On the wall a standard for 20th centuryprocessions is displayed,representing St. Bartholomew.
On the east side there are two display cases: the one on the left holds a chasuble of the 1700s and the one on the right has a chasuble and a chalice veil of the 17th century.
The two central display cases hold:
The big display case holds a cope and a case, gifts of Pius X.The cope was made in Germany or in Switzerland in the 1800s, the case in Italy, at end of the 19th century.
Last update: 21.06.2009